Train With the Team Shaping Mediation
in North Carolina and Beyond
Leading the Way in Mediation Instruction
- In 1987, CDSS designed and implemented the Criminal Court Mediation programs of Wake, Vance, Warren, Granville and Franklin Counties. Thousands of civil and criminal cases have been resolved through these programs, easing overcrowded dockets and affording the courts needed time to try cases that must be resolved through trial. CDSS trains mediators and administers this vital program.
- In 1999, CDSS developed The UNC Health Care / Employee Grievance Mediation and Panel Hearing Program. CDSS has trained selected employees in conflict resolution to assist in resolving employee grievances. This program reduced employee grievances by more than two-thirds.
- In 1999, CDSS designed and implemented the first North Carolina pilot study to assess the process and results of collaborative law in the family arena, resulting in the training and development of the first and largest Collaborative Law practice group in the State.
- In 2005, CDSS developed the North Carolina Office of State Personnel Employee Grievance Mediation Program, training and utilizing existing resources within state government to resolve employee grievance and reducing by 50% cases that move on to the court system.
- In 2008, in conjunction with the Office of Administrative Hearings, CDSS designed and implemented the North Carolina Office of Administrative Hearings / Medicaid Appeal Program. This program has saved millions of dollars in Medicaid costs as well as allows Medicaid recipients the opportunity to settle denials prior to formal court hearings.
- First ADR Clinic in the United States.
- First certified 40 Hour Mediation Training for law schools in North Carolina.